The Sunday Morning Paper is a weekly feature where I share news that’s occurred within the country music industry over the past week and quote from any further pieces that interest me, and may interest you. Click on the hyperlinks provided at the end of each blurb to find out more.
This is another week where I didn’t really have to shorten this feature, which kind of has me wondering if it has run its course or I need to just tweak it somewhat. If y’all have feedback, I’d be more than appreciative. Anyway, onward!
On the Horizon
New album releases:
- Red Shahan – Javelina
- Various Artists (Hellbound Glory, the Lowdown Drifters, Dalton Domino, Taylor Hunnicutt, Seryn, TimLightyear) – With A Little Help From My Friends (EP)
- Joy Oladokun – In Defense of My Own Happiness
- Annie Keating – Bristol County Tides
- Swift Silver – Swift Silver
- Colt McCannon- Colt McCannon
- Angela Autumn – Frontiers Woman
- Mark Collie – Book of My Blues
- Brett Young – Weekends Look A Little Different These Days
- The Oak Ridge Boys – Front Porch Singin’
- Lukas Nelson and Promise of the Real – A Few Stars Apart
- Kylie Morgan – Love, Kylie
Impacting country radio:
- Chase Likens, “Rub a Little Dirt On It”
- Nelly & Florida Georgia Line, “Lil Bit”
- Sammy Sadler featuring Larry Stewart, “The Bluest Eyes in Texas”
- Gary Allan, “SEX”
- Flatland Cavalry, “Gettin’ By”
- Ashley Cooke, “Under”
- Micheal Monroe Goodman, “Not Today”
- Lukas Nelson and Promise of the Real, “Throwin’ Away Your Love”
- Brit Taylor featuring Dee White, “At Least There’s No Babies”
- South Texas Tweek, “New Tattoos”
- Clay Walker, “You Look Good”
At this point, I have albums in my backlog that I like but don’t really have a lot of discussion points to form into anything cohesive, so I think I’m going to keep editing the book project and preparing for midyear list season. It’s coming soon, folks!
Stacks of Facts
Ashley McBryde has a new music video out for “Sparrow.” Well, a live video, which is still pretty cool.
Dierks Bentley revealed in an interview with Country Now that a new album is on the way (nothing definitive yet, though), and that unlike other artists, he’s not planning on releasing a double or super-sized project – just a regular album. That feels kind of … refreshing? (Country Now, by Carena Liptak)
To celebrate the 35th anniversary release of his landmark debut album, Randy Travis is planning on releasing a deluxe edition of Storms of Life on September 24, featuring three previously unreleased songs (“Ain’t No Use,” “Carryin’ Fire,” and “The Wall”). I was also hoping to see last year’s “Fool’s Love Affair” included, but regardless, it’ll be good to have new Randy Travis music. (Music Row)
Cody Jinks revealed he recorded 30 songs last month, 12 of which will be featured on a country album later this year. He also, apparently, has a new rock and metal project on the way, according to frequent collaborator Ward Davis. (Saving Country Music)
Shania Twain will reportedly release her sixth album this year, which she claims is her best yet. (Pop Culture)
Anything else? Let me know!